Free File software can help taxpayers with tax preparation, including the health care law that will affect almost everyone. People can use Free File software immediately but e-filed returns will not be transmitted to the IRS until Tuesday, January 20, when the filing season officially begins.
Here are some common tax-related documents you will need to complete your tax return. Remember, you must also have documentation of any credit or deduction you are claiming as well.
- A copy of last year's tax return;
- Valid Social Security numbers for yourself, spouse and children;
- All income statements, i.e. W-2 forms, from all employers;
- Interest/dividend statements, i.e. 1099 forms;
- Form 1099-G showing any state refunds;
- Unemployment compensation amount, if any;
- Form 1095-A if you purchased coverage from a Health Insurance Marketplace;
- Proof of health care insurance coverage for you and everyone on your return.
File will be available through October 2015. Taxpayers have the option to prepare their return at any time and schedule a tax payment as late as the April 15 deadline. Taxpayers who cannot meet the April 15 tax filing deadline can also use, to file a six-month extension.